Hello friends!
I’m happy to say that the 2017 Hampton Beach
Summer Mission is officially underway, and I’m so grateful and excited. I’ll share a little secret with all you blog
post readers: I was super scared leading up to the trip about what to
expect. I mean, I like to believe that’s
the acceptable norm for anyone diving head first something that is totally in
uncharted territory (like this was for me).
All I had was the hope that God had led me here, with this exact group
of people, in this exact beach town, in this exact year, for his glory. I had
the hope that he led me here to thrive and prosper, and his plans for me are
not to discourage me or hurt me. My
whole life will be altered by what goes on in this town for the next 68 days,
all because God was working in hearts across the country months, even years,
ago. That is so cool guys! (Spoilers:
God is really cool.) As one of my
buddies back home said on Monday, the complete strangers I met these past few
days will likely be some of the most influential people that will ever be part
of my life, all because I had hope and took a leap of faith to fill out this
mission’s application.
I keep praying for God to open my eyes to the reason I was
called here this summer. As some of you
know, Hampton Beach was not my first choice for my summer mission. CRU offers dozens of domestic and abroad
summer missions to its’ students, and frankly Hampton Beach didn’t ‘strike my
fancy’ when I first checked it out. On
top of that, not a whole bunch of people go on summer mission the summer after
their freshman year. I am the youngest
person on this mission; everyone else is at least 19 already and only 3 other
students are in my grade. But by
speaking to me through my friends, immense softening of my stubborn heart, and opening
my eyes to what he has in store for me, not what I want for myself, I finally
summited to God’s will, and I couldn’t be more grateful. Whatever the reason is for bringing me here,
whether he tells me today, next month, next year, or even if I never understand
how me used me in someone else’s life, I’m humbled by the fact that he called
ME here.
I encourage you to keep up with this blog for the next 10
weeks as I grow and learn among students from all over the country. If you haven’t already, I also ask that you
consider supporting me prayerfully and financially as I go through this
time. More than anything, I ask you pray
for a softening of my heart and a quieting of my mind as I reach for that
deeper still relationship with Christ.
If you’re interested in sending me physical mail
(appreciated!), the address of my home is below. From what I’ve already experienced, I haven’t
necessarily had much time on my phone, so that might be the way to go. Also,
for those of you who know me, you are aware of how much I cherish a good, old
fashioned letter 😉.
SB Scott
CRU
20 G Street
Hampton Beach, NH 03842
As far as logistical updates, I am happy to announce that as
of this morning, I am employed as the counter girl at a boardwalk food stop
called Stats. Everyone else on the
mission (yes, really) have jobs in the nearby town at Dunkin Donuts and
McDonalds, so I’m excited for this opportunity to personally grow through my
experiences on the boardwalk. It’s a
little weird to be the only one on the beach, but the view of the beach (which is only a few
yards away from my post) is pretty amazing, and I will get to sleep in a little
bit since the store doesn’t open until 10 am.
The woman employing me has lived in this area her whole life, and has
been interacting with the students on the annual summer mission since she was
11 years old. She is now 35 and still looks forward to our arrival every
summer. I’m blessed to have the opportunity
to represent the mission and CRU through this job and get one on one interaction
with the tourists every day.
As for housing, I am living in a beach house with the 17
other students. We are about one block
from the beach and very close to some surrounding towns. I share a (very small
and cozy) bedroom and a bathroom with one other girl, and I share a kitchen
with 4 other girls. I just want to say
that there are no other girls I’d rather go group grocery shopping with (2 full
carts yesterday). I will be assigned to
one of the churches in the area to get plugged in with, and through that congregation
I will be introduced to a host family who I will get to interact with all
summer. All the students are amazing,
and it’s hard to believe it’s only been 48 hours, as we are already functioning
as a family. All the staff here are
assigned 2 or 3 students of the same gender to disciple and pour into during
their time here. I am being discipled by
a staff woman, Kelly, who is here with her husband Stephen. I’m also in a bible study, consisting of 5
other girls living in the house.
I will include more details in coming posts, don’t worry. As always, the main goal here is to pour into
the area and really be the body of Christ as we reach out. I’m excited to learn lots, laugh lots, and
love lots this summer, and I can’t thank you enough for investing in me.
Love ya,
SB
Love it! Looking forward to reading your blog all summer ☺
ReplyDelete